Monday, March 8, 2010

Arrrrrr! Pirate Ship Cake

Ingredients :
  • 3 cake mix 
  • chocolate frosting
  • creme frosting
  • black licorice
  • tootsy rolls
  • black icing ready to use
  • food coloring blue and red
  • white Pages for the sails
  • wooden skewers for the masts
I used 3 boxes of cake mix. I baked each of them in a 9 x 13 inch pan. I drew the basic shape of a ship on a piece of paper( here is my template ), put it on the cooled cakes, and cut the shape out of each of them. I filled the cakes with cooked condensed milk point creamy caramel and stacked them. After they were stacked, I cut down at an angle so that the bottom of the cake was narrower than the top. 
I added the cut outs like in the front to give it more depth .I also carved out the deck.
I used chocolate chocolate frosting to decorate the cake. I used a fork to make it look more like wood surface   I rolled to balls of fondant. One I flattened, and the other I made flat on two sides. I put them together with a tiny bit of water and then attached them to the side of the cake. The windows in the back were cut out of fondant and painted with little of watery light blue frosting  .
I place licorice in all the places i wanted divisions on the deck and on the front .I use the ready to use icing for the edges of the Deck 
The mast were made with wooden skewers i painted with brown food coloring. The sails are made of paper. I brushed them with vegetable oil, and put them in a 200 degree oven for 5 minutes. (watch them they get burn easily) I threaded the sails on the skewers

I placed the entire cake on a cardboard cake round that I had spread blue royal icing on to look like waves. 
since I had so much left over was enough to make 2 little rowboats and an island in one of them I place the candles because was  no place left over in the ship .
had a little shovel and a treasure chest I place on the island and use peaches to make the steps also put part together with whipping cream .
A FEW TIPS
Let the cakes stand until they cool off on their pan is better if you bake them the morning be4 the party and decorate the very next morning or the same night .
I did not find any sharks gummys because we were in a hurry getting things together but I though that would look very cute in the island you can also use cocoa  or sprinkles .
Don't get discourage I am no good at decorating the cake secret is the sails is what gives them the look!

1 comment:

  1. i can give a try to your contents..
    but i am zero in kitchen area..

    ReplyDelete